Why do we soak almonds in water before eating? by Vidisha
Answer by Vidisha:
Why soaked almonds – the almonds you eat, should be soaked in water overnight. This is because their brown, rough skin contains a certain enzyme inhibitor that is meant to protect the seed until it has the perfect conditions for germination. Our body cannot breakdown this enzyme, not only making the digestion of almonds difficult, restricting your body from absorbing its nutrients. Apart from that, soaking almonds also softens the seed, making it easy to chew and therefore digest.
Benefits of soaked almonds:
1. Help with– Soaking almonds helps in releasing enzymes which in turn help with digestion. Soaking almonds releases enzyme which is beneficial for digestion of fats.
2. Help with– The monounsaturated fats in almonds curb your appetite and keep you full. So feel free to snack on them because they'll help you avoid binge-eating and trigger weight-loss.
3. Almonds keep your, reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol
4. They are a good source of antioxidants: Vitamin E present in soaked almonds works as an antioxidant which inhibits free radical damage that prevents ageing and inflammation.
5. Fight Cancer: Soaked almonds contain Vitamin B17 which is vital for fighting cancer.
6. Help in lowering and maintaining glucose levels and regulating high blood pressure.
regarding the nutritional values : soaking is the first part before germination of a seed when planted in a soil. While soaking, all the nutrients needed for the germinating young plant are mobilized in an easily available form. This is the reason for soaking almonds and other nuts too. Soaked nuts are much more nutritious with enhanced availability of phytonutrients. Any time, soaked nuts are more nutritious than fried or roasted nuts. But taste is a different thing. You decide whether you want taste or good nutrition.
Also Almonds give warmth to the body , so soaking in water cools them off.