What are some of the strangest facts about famous Indian movies? by Suryateja Rokkam
Answer by Suryateja Rokkam:
Some interesting/amazing/strange facts about Sholay:
- Two producer/director teams rejected the idea before it found favor with Ramesh Sippy.
- late Amjad Khan was never the first choice for playing Gabbar Singh ? The role was first offered to Danny Denzongpa. However, Danny turned the offer down as he was already busy with Feroz Khan's Dharmatma which was to be shot in Afghanistan at the same time. He was almost dropped because scriptwriter Javed Akhtar found his voice too weak for Gabbar Singh's role.
- Dharmendra was head over heels in love with ‘dream girl' Hema Malini so much that the actor reportedly used to pay the light boys to disrupt the shooting whenever a romantic sequence of the couple was being shot so that there could be several takes.
- The song “Yeh Dosti” took 21 days to shoot; the scene where Jaya’s character Radha lights a lamp took 20 days to shoot.
- Thakur’s character was originally supposed to be a retired army officer. This was changed to a police officer because the filmmakers thought it would be difficult to get requisite permissions.
- Shatrughan Sinha was initially considered for the role of Jai.
- It took 40 retakes before the scene featuring the line “kitne aadmi they” was finalized.
- Amitabh wanted to play the role of Gabbar. “When I first heard the script of “Sholay” I told Salim-Javed (the scripwriters) ‘I want to do the role of Gabbar’. But Ramesh Sippy (the director) decided to cast me as Jai,” Bachchan said in a interview.
- Apparently, real bullets were used while filming Sholay's climax and a stray bullet is said to have narrowly missed Amitabh Bachchan.
- Mac Mohan’s character, Sambha had only one line in the film, but he is still referred to as ‘Sambha’. Initially, the role of Sambha was much more but post editing it was reduced to just three words.
- Mac Mohan traveled 27 Times to Bangalore for the Sholay Shooting: The three words “Poore Pachaas Hazaar” in the movie Sholay shot Mac Mohan or the gun toting Sambha to fame. Sounds difficult to believe but yes the actor who played the smallest roles in the film traveled 27 times from Mumbai to Bangalore to complete the take.
- Interestingly, Dharmendra was quite interested in playing the role of Thakur Baldev Singh. However, when the actor was informed about Sanjeev Kumar playing the role of Veeru opposite Hema Malini, Dharmendra gave up the idea of playing Thakur and went on to play Veeru because he too was wooing Hema Malini during those days.
- The town called Ramanagara, about 50 kms from Bangalore is referred to as Ramgarh in Sholay. The rocks around the area are still referred to as Sholay-rocks and are now a tourist attraction.
- In 1999, BBC India called Sholay the Film of the Millennium. It also topped the all-time poll of the best Indian films conducted by the British Film Institute. However it won only one Filmfare award – for best editing.
- Though released on August 15 1975, Sholay was launched on 2nd October 1973.
- Gabbar features in only nine scenes of the film.
- Sharman Joshi’s father Arvind Joshi starred in the film as one of Sanjeev Kumar’s sons.
Edit 1: Ramanagara is still called Ramnagara not Ramagarh. Thanksfor the edit
Edit 2: Sharman Joshi’s father in sholay as sanjeev kumar’s son, gabbar features in only 9 scenes, Real bullet points
Edit 3: Updated Sambha pic
Thanksfor the edit !!